Size 45" by 63"
All work was done by hand.
One day when I felt the need to try something entirely different,
I began to cut pieces with Connie Broy's "Spin-Ruler". I laid
them out as instructed and stood back and said "That doesn't do it,
that's just triangles with curved sides." So I began rearranging the
pieces and adding to layout, all the time learning more about the
geometry of the piece. When I had sections that pleased me I began
sewing the pieces together, with no end product in mind. Eventually
I learned to resize the piece and more units emerged. Somewhere along
the line the theme emerged and the piece took on a life of its own.
And the challenge became how to connect the sections while continuing to
use the same curved piece. I squared it all off and began to search
for a border fabric, after several months I gave that up and looked to
another solution, and hit upon the present idea. Continuing the design
out to a new edge meant drawing the design out in full size and cutting
it up for templates. I let the top rest for several months while
contemplating how it should be quilted, an overall design was never
an option. Outline of the flowers and using the "Spin-Ruler" to echo
the curve of the pieces seemed obvious but other areas took a lot of
The vast majority of the curves were pieced but sometimes applique
was needed to properly tame a curve. The portions of appliqued roses
were added after the quilting was begun and I felt they were needed.